Friday, October 5, 2012

About Music

I think music in itself is healing. It's an explosive expression of humanity. It's something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we're from, everyone loves music.
Billy Joel



I love music. 

I enjoy multiple genres, including and not limited to a person using garbage cans or tire rims to create a melody.  Music sets my mood, or I choose what I listen to based on what I want to feel.  One of my most favourite movies captures the emotional response only music can influence.



 If left unchecked music will become a fierce master.

What made me think of this?

Historically music has been used for many many things, including worship of God.  David the Sheppard boy sang to The Lord, and his Psalms did not cease when he became King.  His praise and love for all things godly is reflective in his words, I'll use Psalm 23 as an example:

The Lord Is My Shepherd

A Psalm of David.

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.[a]
    He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness[b]
    for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,[c]
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely[d] goodness and mercy[e] shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell[f] in the house of the Lord
    forever.[g]

Clearly God is the center of David's world, his will is bound to his Creator's through Jesus Christ, as is true of all elect persons.  However, is music or words to music enough to worship God?  I was one of those people who thought the way songs made me feel brought me closer to my Master.  God gifted me with the ability to carry a tune, and for years I sang my heart out thinking the words and the notes I chirped were beautiful and sufficient for worship of God.  I didn't pay attention to what was being said for the most part, more the harmony and blending in with those who sang around me.  As I got older, the focus became the melodies, a team was created to lead the rest of the congregation, which wasn't bad in itself, but grew into being the core of which the rest of the Church service stemmed from. 

Music became the master.

We can not serve more than one. Matthew 6:24

I am not saying instruments shouldn't be played, and that appropriate songs shouldn't be sung in the Church service.  I think singing is a tangible way for all in the assembly to lift our voices as one, in rehearsal for the day we are in fact before the throne of God!  My concern is if the music and singing become such an intricate part that it takes over someones idea of what worship is, that can be dangerous.

Gathering for Church doesn't necessarily need music.  It's nice, but not needed.

You can imagine the culture shock of going from a Church that had incredible music, amazing musicians and a large time slot for singing, to a Church that sang by guitar chords alone, with piano accompaniment sometimes.  Our service doesn't have any set number of songs we sing, it varies every week.  We have one member that leads the singing, and that's it.  There are many beautiful voices in our congregation, but the point is not to focus on their voices, but our voices as one before our King!  It has taken me a while to adjust, but no longer is the praise and hymns my concern, but the word of God presented from the pulpit. No longer do I eagerly wait for the songs, although I still enjoy singing, but I wait to feed off the feast The Holy Spirit has prepared for us.

Music is great, but if not kept in it's place it can have power over a humans will, and cause the purpose of it's existence and the distinction therein to be blurred.

Music is a moral law. 
It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.
Plato

~

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Polite To Share :)