Monday, February 25, 2013

Affirming Debt

I think we let ourselves off too easy as converted human beings. I think we allow our sin nature to take the lead more often than not. It is after all, our auto pilot, and if we're not being intentional and diligent in keeping up with prayer for instance, sin will be killing the desire for it.

There is no empty space in your heart. You are either being filled up with God, or filled up with sin.

We're born into a putrid foul decaying earth. We are rotting from within. I apologize for getting so graphic but we need to understand our place in creation. Certainly we were made in the image of God, (Gen 1) but the point is that we were made, and we remain tainted by sin even after being found in Jesus Christ. Forget this, and one will immediately think they deserve to be treated and respected or acknowledged a certain way, or have obtained a less 'sinful state'. I've fallen prey to my inner sin nature many times. I was angry when I found myself in a predicament where a wedge was slammed between me and those I've known and loved for years. My anger was sin. I didn't like what God was doing and I showed my true colours when He shone His pure light on me. But even though He does this, even though God reveals my true self to me, the self that is continually going to battle for life instead of accepting death in Christ, His Grace is abundant and like a soothing salve to a severe burn I find rest and solace on my face before the cross.

“He can make the dry parched ground of my soul to become a pool and my thirsty barren heart as springs of water. Yes he can make this habitation of dragons this heart which is so full of abominable lusts and fiery temptations to be a place of bounty and fruitfulness unto Himself.” 
~John Owen

God provides all. He is the source of all things good, justifiable  pure and lovely. When comparing anything to Him, it is but dust, dirt, or like webs of nothing.

Jonathan Edwards wrote:

“Of all the knowledge that we can ever obtain, the knowledge of God, and the knowledge of ourselves, are the most important.” 

&

“If the heart be chiefly and directly fixed on God, and the soul engaged to glorify him, some degree of religious affection will be the effect and attendant of it. But to seek after affection directly and chiefly; to have the heart principally set upon that; is to place it in the room of God and his glory. If it be sought, that others may take notice of it, and admire us for our spirituality and forwardness in religion, it is then damnable pride; if for the sake of feeling the pleasure of being affected, it is then idolatry and self-gratification.” 

Edwards words carry as much truth today as they hour he penned them.  As soon as we think we need a pat on the back, 'good for me', God has been replaced and self reigns our heart.  Even putting that effort into going to Church every week can be a snare to our steps, if the effort we put in is from a place of pride.

It is good to check your personal motive for doing something.  Why am I doing this?  What am I doing?  Who am I doing it for?  Where is it taking me? When do I do it, out of convenience or necessity or duty?

Proverbs 1:7  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Job 28:28  And he said to man,’Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,  and to turn away from evil is understanding.’”

Proverbs 2:10-11  for wisdom will come into your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul; discretion will watch over you, understanding will guard you,

James 1:5  If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God,who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.


Ecclesiastes 7:12 For the protection of wisdom is like the protection of money, and the advantage of knowledge is that wisdom preserves the life of him who has it.


When you are confronted with your sin, present it before the throne, asking God to kill it, and if it remains ask Him to kill it again. If it continues to remain, God is using that particular sin to grow you up, to refine you, to build your knowledge and wisdom of His Grace and Love, His Will. Don't ignore the lessons associated with that sin, but own it.  I struggled with smoking for several years, I tried to quit time and again but each hour my craving for the taste and feeling of that sweet slow heat in my nose and throat overcame me.  I could not die to that desire. I had no strength in me to, even though I hated my addiction. So I cried out to God. I cried out day after day. I resolved myself one day to not light up, believing the power of The Holy Spirit would help me, and any time my hands started to shake I prayed, calling out to my Perfect Redeemer to remove that selfish desire from me. You see it wasn't the smoking that really was the issue. Yes it stinks. Yes it causes oral issues, health issues and affects anyone in close proximity to you. But the underlying sin of smoking is *self*. Gratifying self is our human nature. It was very difficult, I'm not going to lie, but eventually God did what I asked of Him, and I've been smoke free for 7 years. In Matthew 7:7 Jesus says, “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." Life changing truth!

Matthew 21:22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." 

Mark 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

John 15:7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.

Be sure to ask for the right thing. Make sure you are asking God.

“Being sensible that I am unable to do any thing without God's help, I do humbly entreat Him, by His grace, to enable me to keep these Resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to His will, for Christ's sake.” 
~Johnathan Edwards 

Our hope remains in Jesus Christ, that one day we will be free from this flesh and sin, united as one body before the throne of Grace, Mercy and Love. Take heart dear Christian, God's help is Efficient and His Work is Eternal. He is not a hands off Master, but is indeed the only One who can reach into our heart and write His Will on the walls. He owns you, and is faithful. You must own your sin and kill it. This is done by God alone through Christ alone by The Holy Spirit alone. Ask Him.

1 John 5:14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Polite To Share :)