Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Say Pause

Nap time is usually a battle in my house.

Because of the brilliant arguing, the manipulation, the promises that these young children will be "really good mommy," I've allowed these 5's and 3 year old to forgo a rest in the afternoon.

I always regret it by 5pm.  It's like a bomb drops when 4:59 steps forward, when I'm trying to prepare dinner for my husband who I assume had a very long day and was supposed to be home hours before and yet the clock ticked away with a no show: but a warm, full belly fixes all, except tired kids.

They whine.

They haaaannnnnggggg.

Everything is a natural disaster.

They're hungry NOW.  They don't want a vegetable that won't wreck their appetite but sustain their obviously made up esurience.  They are dying of thirst.  Water clearly won't fix that.

Some days it's all three at the same time, and other days they tag team leaving me no choice but to stop what I'm doing and try to calm the situation down as much as a war zone allows.

Most days I can smooth everyone out, but there are such times that nothing will do except bed, and if it wasn't a terrible explosion yet utter those words and even the devil wouldn't come around the corner to witness the carnage.

That is why naps are still required most days.  They don't have to be long, I think my little girl sleeps maybe 45 minutes, but when she wakes up her head is on her shoulders straight and that is good.  My youngest boy suggests that I should lay down with him because naps are awesome.

I agree wee man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Polite To Share :)